The Kids

The Kids

Saturday, October 24, 2009

H1N1

The flu has hit the Besmer household. It started with Matt last Wednesday. I got put on prophylactic Tamiflu on Friday as 28 pregnant women have died as a result of the H1N1. Let me tell you... Tamiflu is not nice. It has caused more nausea for me than the entire 1st trimester! Last night, Ashton had a 100.8 temperature which was treated with Tylenol. This morning ~7am, he had another temperature at 101 and another round of Tylenol. The rest of the morning went well and Ashton went down well for his morning nap. He woke up 1 1/2 hours later and we had our snack. But after that, he just wanted to lay down on me. I knew something was wrong but he wasn't really fussing around. Ashton goes 110% and runs 100 miles an hour. So about 15 minutes later, I checked his temperature and it was 104.5. Granted he had his warm PJs on so I did it again... 104.6. I took the PJs off right away, but it went up over 105. So, I changed us quickly and headed for the acute care clinic on base. They quickly turned us away and sent us to Urgent Care. Long story short, Ashton is positive for the flu and another ear infection. 3 pharmacies later - I finally found a place who can make the tamiflu for infants. Unfortunately we went to pick up the medicines too late and will have to get them tomorrow at 10am.

The UC doc was quick to let me know that I was likely going to get the flu despite being vaccinated AND being on prophylactic Tamiflu. I MIGHT be vaccinated. He said the vaccination takes place ~10 days after getting the shot, which I got ~10 days ago today. Except I was exposed prior to that and only started getting Tamiflu yesterday. So, here's hoping that I don't get it and if I do the symptoms are lessened with Tamiflu. It better be... these side effects from the medication are worse than 1st trimester nausea!

1 comment:

Shannon Menendez said...

Yikes, Aleyna! I know the fear of getting H1N1. There was a girl in my class who had two sisters sick with it...and one was hospitalized! Even though my student was displaying symptoms, we all know she could still be a host. And NO ONE told me about her home situation...until her mom emailed me to check on her. Talk about scared. I had to wait a week before the H1N1 shot was available in our area, and thankfully, I got it. But it's still scary. I will be saying an extra special prayer that your family recovers quickly, and that you and baby #2 are protected. :)