The Kids

The Kids

Monday, November 17, 2008

Let the training begin!

Well, I have started the sleep training early. I got Ashton to fall asleep for his nap this morning and promptly put him in his crib. Too bad he decided to wake up 5 minutes later and cry. I knew I was in trouble and realized that he is getting too used to sleeping next to warm snugly Mommy. So, I let Ashton cry himself to sleep. It took ~45 minutes for him to only wake up again 15 minutes later. I tried to let him cry again but ended up picking him up since technically it exceeded the 1 hour limit (per Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby book). The rest of the nap day was unsuccessful as well. However, we just put him down for bedtime since he was falling asleep in Daddy's arms. And for the 1st 15 minutes, he didn't even cry at all! He was talking to himself and just enjoying the mobile in his bed. Then he cried for ~10 minutes and now we have silence. Not guaranteed that he is sleeping, but hopefully he trying to fall asleep on his own! Day 1 of sleep training... not so bad! Super good news... Ashton slept from 8pm-2am last night! That's 6 hours of straight sleep, although it was next to Mommy and 7 hours between feeds! He has potential!

2 comments:

DTomate said...

I would say you have to break that kid of that habit, but he's so dang cute that I'm more inclined to speak like an over-indulgent grandma and say "he'll grow out of it". Got your DVD last night and Grandpa and I watched your little "devil child" crying his little heart out, then the next clip would be of him cooing and gurgling and spitting up. He's such a handsome boy! Can't wait to see him again. And Grandpa is beside himself as well. He thinks of course that Ashton gets his willfulness from our side of the family since Matt is so good-natured and even-tempered. HAH!

Shannon Menendez said...

That sounds familiar! Stay consistent and diligent - you'll be thankful you did! :o) It's hard...but if you know he's been fed, he's got a clean diaper...he is already learning how to manipulate! They're clever little guys!
Is that book good? Healthy Sleep Habits...I have wanted to read it, but have yet to.