The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nighttime sleeping

Our nighttime sleeping has improved quite a bit over the past couple of days! We are now sleeping 4-5 hours between feeds (during the night)! Let me emphasize over the night! Maybe it's because we have resolved to sleeping with him until his is fully asleep. He still gives us daytime battles with falling asleep for his naps. We think he's asleep and down for the count when in reality it's only for 30 minutes. So, I have taken to reading sleep books for babies... Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. It says when an "easy" baby is 8 weeks old, you should be able to start sleep training which means training your baby to fall asleep on their own. I don't really think Ashton is an "easy" baby, but he is by no means the terror child that is represented in the book. So, next weekend our sleep training begins. Matt is more excited than I am to start this because I love to snuggle up next to him at night, but I know that we need to start this sooner than later. I do not want him to need us to fall asleep when we are onto our next child. So, one more week of loving snuggling until the crying begins.

PS. This belly sleeping is not typical! He fell asleep on his stomach on my stomach and I set him down. He stayed... let a sleeping baby sleep right?! And it was only for a nap, and he hasn't done it since. So for all you warning me against SIDS and belly sleeping... yeah yeah I know! But I let a sleeping baby sleep!

2 comments:

Shannon Menendez said...

I think I may have told you this before, but hey - if it works, he'll be fine. He's strong enough to lift his head if he needs to. You really can't keep up with what doctors say either - one year they say don't put them on their bellies, the next year they say it's okay. I think it boils down to, like I said, strength to lift the head if necessary (if their blanky gets too close to their face), and not putting a bunch of stuffed animals or toys in the crib with them. Our boys slept best on their bellies; but now every time I put Sol down on his belly he immediately flips to his back. Apparently he prefers his back now. :o) Each baby is different. Just remember that - you're doing a GREAT job! He is already getting so big! And you really are making the right choice to bear with some crying when you start to sleep 'train' him - you'll be so glad you endured, and naps and bedtime will truly be so much easier in the long run!

DTomate said...

You & Tino were mostly placed on your stomach and I think you two turned out okay...Babies sleep better on their stomaches. When they're on their back, every little movement or jerk makes them wake up!