The Kids

The Kids

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Okay... I bought something!

Well, let me tell you how my day was finishing up. I was driving home on my alternative route across a bridge before the 2nd tunnel and I see this car ~2-3 cars ahead of me swerve across the slow lane and slam into the side of the bridge. As I'm driving past him, I see that he is having a seizure (tonic-clonic to my seizure friends out there)! So of course, I have to stop and see if he is okay. On my way to the car, I dial 911. When I get to him, he's in a tonic clonic seizure (oh tonic clonic means shaking all over, the typical ones they show on tv) for ~1 minute and then starts stiffening his arms, myoclonic seizures, then goes post-ictal (non-responsive after a seizures) for ~2-3 minutes. He starts coming around ~5 minutes after the seizure but is barely able to give me his name. Eventually, he is able to give us his whole name and birthday but not able to tell us the current year, day, date, name of president, etc. After a few minutes, the ambulance and police come and relieve us of our duties as good Samaritans. What surprised me is that they didn't ask us for any information. They just said, thanks for helping and sent us on our way. Don't you think they would need to know what happened prior to when they got there and what precipitated the 911 call? Oh well.


So which leads me to my purchase! So since I'm feeling all excited about my good deed, I might as well as purchase my first baby item. Well, in truth I have purchased a lot of books, What to Expect While You are Expecting, The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy (a must read for first timers), of course a couple of Baby Name books, Best Baby Products, Baby Bargains book, and Baby Wise. So, I have purchased my official first baby product, a new diaper bag! I'm going to leave the bags I have registered for unless I truly LOVE the new bag that should be on it's way. It got really good reviews from the ebags.com website. So here it is... my first baby purchase! Isn't it exciting?!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny you had this happen to you... (well not funny funny but you know what I mean) I went through that exact scenerio only we were about 3 cars behind a large flat bed truck that veered off the road.. my sister in law and I pulled over to help and he was having a siezure too.. his brother was in the passenger seat panicking calling us to help him we tried to talk to him and he didnt respond - called 911 and the same thing happened.. they arrived and relieved us of our duties no questions asked.... hmmmm - well I prayed for him....

You need to be careful in your fragile state...(smile)-Angel

DTomate said...

You are such a good Samaritan!!! God put you in the right place...who knows what would have happened to him? There are so many people in this world that just drive by and don't stop or think twice about a person in need. He could have sat there for hours and then died, instead of being rescured by someone good enough to stop and call it in. I'm so proud of you, honey...more than I can say. I'm tearing up now...sigh...that's what you will do in 20 or so years ... when your little tyke grows up and does the same thing ...

Mommy pfohl said...

Way to go girl! Oh, and the bag is great too! You needed a good job reward so way to go on the shopping! -Mindy